Coastal Cleanup Day 2021
This article is about Coastal Cleanup Day in 2021. Coastal Cleanup Day for 2022 will be on Saturday, September 17.
General Coastal Cleanup Day info from the California Coastal Commission can be found here: coastalcleanupday.org. Details about 2022 cleanup sites in Mendocino County will be posted in summer 2022. If you would like to host a site or have questions about how you can get involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the last 17 years, Mendocino County has had 5,000 volunteers to remove almost 60,000 pounds of trash and 9,000 pounds of recyclables! The Mendocino Land Trust is proud to coordinate sites for Mendocino County and grateful to our partnering organizations that have committed to hosting cleanup sites on September 18, 2021. Please mark the day on your calendar and come out and lend a hand to “protect your happy place.”
There are 15 Coastal Cleanup events happening in Mendocino County on September 18 — most are seeking volunteers like YOU! Keep reading for details about who/what/where/when. You know the WHY – keeping our creeks, rivers, beaches and ocean as clean and safe as possible!
Won’t be in Mendocino County on Sept. 18? There are cleanup events all over California! View an interactive map provided by the California Coastal Commission to find a site near you.
The Mendocino Land Trust would like to extend big thanks to MendoRecycle for providing a grant to help cover staff time spent coordinating this event and Waste Management‘s Fort Bragg office for facilitating dumpster donation!
Unless otherwise noted, no RSVP is needed – just show up the day of the event ready to help! Site captains will be able to provide supplies but if you have a bucket, trash grabber or gloves you can bring this helps cut down on the amount of waste generated by the event. Bring a refillable water bottle and a mask for times when social distancing may not be possible.
- Seaside Beach Cleanup 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Mendocino Land Trust
- Ten Mile Dunes Cleanup 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Mendocino Coast Audobon
- MacKerricher Beach at Ward Avenue 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Surfriders
- Virgin Creek Beach 9 am – 11 am hosted by North Coast Brewing Company (meet at the brewery at 8:30 am to bike or carpool to the beach!)
- Glass Beach Cleanup 9am – 12 pm hosted by City of Fort Bragg
- Noyo Headlands Park 9:00 am – 12 pm hosted by Latino Outdoors North Coast Chapter. Please email Esme at email@example.com and let her know if you plan to come.
- Noyo River Boating Cleanup 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Liquid Fusion Kayaking (We launch from the ramp at Dolphin Isle Marina at 9am. Please call ahead if you would like to rent a kayak)
- Hare Creek Beach 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Mendocino Land Trust (RSVPs appreciated by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – we will meet in the college parking lot)
- Caspar Beach 9 am – 12 pm hosted by Coastal Mendocino Association of Realtors
- Big River Beach 10 am – 12 pm hosted by MendoParks
- Navarro Beach 9 am – 12 pm hosted by the Noyo Center. (Please RSVP by emailing email@example.com)
- Point Arena Cove 9 am – 12 pm hosted by City of Point Arena
- Cook’s Beach 9 am – 11 am hosted by Redwood Coast Land Conservancy. Please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Russian River cleanups in the Ukiah Valley 9 am – 1 pm – multiple sites organized by the Mendocino County Resource Conservation District. (Please register here!)
Busy on Saturday? One group has opted to do their cleanup on Monday… join them then if you would like.
- Van Damme Beach 10 am – 11:30 am on Monday September 20 hosted by Little River Environmental Action Group
Additionally, big THANKS to school groups planning their own cleanup events in celebration of Coastal Cleanup Day! (Participation in these events is limited to those invited by the organizing school group)
- Fort Bragg Middle School plans to clean up Pudding Creek Beach
- Teacher Erin Brazill and TLC students from FBUSD will be cleaning up the Westport Beaches
- Pacific Community Charter School will take on Moat Creek Beach, the Stornetta Lands and more
Find out more at coastalcleanupday.org and watch for all the details in our September newsletter!