mendocino land trust strategic plan
Want to know what the Mendocino Land Trust has in store for the future?
In Fall 2021 we began work on an updated strategic plan to guide our conservation, public access, and outreach work over the next few years.
Please check back, we hope to have it available very soon!
The Land Trust:
- Is a socially and environmentally responsible organization.
- Respects diversity of opinion and background in its human interactions.
- Values the natural world and the importance of the scientific method in addressing conservation and climate issues.
- Works only with willing landowners in any conservation or restoration project.
- Commits to transparency of communication in advocating land conservation and in educating the public about the Land Trust mission.
- Meets national standards for excellence, upholds the public trust and ensures that conservation efforts are permanent.
- Demonstrates sound finances, ethical conduct and responsible governance.
- Is committed to bettering the community through conservation and education.
- Treats its staff fairly and is an equal opportunity employer.
a long range vision of success
The Mendocino County region leaves a lasting impression on all who live or visit here. The Land Trust’s goal is to make certain that its natural resources and scenic beauty are conserved in perpetuity. We envision pure air, clean water and locally sourced healthy food. There will be towering trees and rivers of salmon and peace of mind for families who want to preserve their fields, ranches and forests for generations to come.
The Land Trust envisions completion of the California Coastal Trail, stretching from Oregon to Mexico. Residents and visitors to the region will be connected to the outdoors and find inspiration here. The economy will be a vibrant mix of local businesses and tourism balanced with sustainable agriculture, forestry and fishing. The rural character and natural beauty will remain unspoiled.
It also envisions creation of a countywide conservation plan that will guide our work. The Land Trust will be widely recognized throughout the region, with offices and board representation in both inland and coastal communities.
Role of the Board
- Serve as ambassadors for the Land Trust.
- Assist staff with implementation of strategic planning goals and vision
- Assist the executive director in fundraising by identifying and connecting with people who are interested in the Land Trust mission.
- Engage existing Land Trust members by getting them more deeply involved in Land Trust mission and activities.
- Recruit more good board members, and engage volunteers as one way of finding candidates.
- Consider joining the Land Trust’s Legacy Circle.
- Become qualified for an oversight role by visiting Land Trust properties and communicating with staff.
Land Trust’s desired reputation
The Mendocino Land Trust is the group that people depend on to:
- Provide public access to the coast.
- Protect land and natural resources, conserve open space and preserve the scenic beauty and natural legacy of our region.
- Ensure that all people in our diverse community and future generations will have access to open space.
- Keep its promises to supporters, donors and the community and remain a trusted beneficiary of donations and bequests.